Barrington is a village, situated around 4 miles
north east of Ilminster, 11 miles south east of Taunton, and
11 miles west of Yeovil in the south of the county of Somerset.
Barrington is home to a super pub called the Barrington Oak; the
grade 1 listed St Mary's church; and the very special National trust
Barrington Court and gardens.
An old picture postcard of thatched cottages
on Court Road, Barrington, c.1925.
Barrington in past
times. Barrington is a village and parish, 6 miles west from
Martock station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter line
of railway, and 4 north-east from Ilminster in the Western division
of the county, hundred of South Petherton, union and county court
district of Langport, rural deanery of Crewkerne, archdeaconry of
Taunton and diocese of Bath and Wells. The church of St. Mary is a
cruciform stone building, in the Early English and Perpendicular
styles, having a chancel, nave, transept, porch and octagonal tower
with 4 bells. The register dates from 1584. There is a National
school for boys and girls, endowed with £44 a year; and a Sunday
school is held in the school-room. Here is a Wesleyan chapel.
Barrington Court is one of the most beautiful specimens of Domestic
architecture remaining in this county: it was probably built by
Henry Daubeney, Earl of Bridgewater, who died in 1548; the manor had
been for many ages the property of his ancient family. Sir Thomas
Phillip became the purchaser in 1605: it is now used as a farmhouse,
and occupied by T. M. Lang, and remains in an excellent state of
preservation. Richard Marker, esq., is lord of the manor; and
William Parsons Peters, esq., and Samuel Bartlett, esq., and William
Blake, esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is clay and loam and
sand, and the subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans, and
flax. The acreage is 1,656; rateable value, £3,274. The population
in 1871 was 517. Transcribed from a Kelly's directory of 1878.
Nearby villages and towns:
Seavington St Michael;
No comments to date