Photographs and basic information on High Ham in the
An old image of part of the church and war memorial in High Ham,
The National Trust owned Stembridge Tower Mill in High Ham. The only surviving thatched mill in England.
The windmill and miller's cottage in Stembridge, High Ham, Somerset, c.1919.
High Ham is a village in the county of
"High Ham, a parish in the hundred of Whitley, county Somerset,
five miles East of Somerton, eleven miles West of Bridgwater, and
four miles North of Langport, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the high road from Wells and Bridgwater, and contains the hamlets of Beer, Henley, Paradise, and Wag. The soil is clayey, and subsoil limestone, which is quarried for building and for burning into lime. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to St. Andrew, with a tower containing five bells. There is also a district church at Nether Ham
/ Low Ham. The register dates from 1569. Here is a free school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. There are a few small charities. The Independents have places of worship here. Captain Mildmay is
Lord of the Manor." Edited version of text from the 1868
edition of The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland.
Nearby hamlets, villages and towns:
Seavington St Michael;
High Ham, Somerset
No comments to date
© Somersetian 1999 - 2010